THE HOBBIT 90th Anniversary – A Year Early
This fall, a 90th Anniversary Edition of The
Hobbit will be published.
It will be the first edition to have illustrations by Tove Jansson –
accompanied by the text in English.
The anniversary portion of the book reads:
“Landmark new 90th anniversary edition featuring a wealth of charming
illustrations from Tove Jansson, creator of the Moomins, published in English
for the first time.”
However, that’s this fall. Next fall is the actual 90th
Anniversary, as The Hobbit was published in September of 1937.
So….what edition will come out next fall??
I have a speculation on that: I believe, knowing the publishers’ lately, that
it’ll be the same book…but in a deluxe tier. So, expect it to come out next
year in a slipcased edition, with a ribbon-marker, possibly a frontispiece (in
colour, perhaps?) and one or two other things. But I expect the book to
be the same – just ‘presented’ differently.
The edition coming this fall will have one cover design. It’s possible for a potential slipcased deluxe edition that one of the other cover designs for a Jansson illustrated edition may be used as a frontispiece. But we’ll see! We'll also see if there's another different edition coming Fall 2027.
Either way, because next year is the actual 90th Anniversary, I’ll wait until then to get this edition – likely as eBook. Mostly on account of the artwork being black and white, and lack of bookcases. Not shelves – a bookcase! There’s only room for a few more Tolkien books here and there, so I need to ‘reserve’ any possible slots carefully…..
Comments