I have a feeling that 2014 will be a big year for A Song of Ice and Game of Thrones. Here's why....
This post is more of a 'theoretical' checklist. Some things on it are for certain, some aren't. Let's start.
- Game of Thrones season 4. These 10 episodes will begin airing spring of 2014, most likely March or April sometime. Material will come from Blood and Gold (A Storm of Swords Part 2) and A Feast For Crows.
- There will be 'merchandise' the soundtrack for season 4, the calendar for the show, the art calendar more based on the books, goodies from HBO shop, etc...
- Game of Thrones season 3 blu-ray. For those who buy them, or watch the show legally without subbing to HBO.
- The World of Ice and Fire. The companion with histories and 'worldbook' that's been mentioned on occasion is coming out. GRRM said Spring, Amazon etc say October, but as of now, next year it is coming out. This will provide more background and insight to the book series.
- 'Dunk and Egg Vol. 1' . (unofficial title) . GRRM said that the first three Dunk and Egg stories (prequel novellas set about 100 years before A Game of Thrones begins. In order, they are The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight. Four is rumoured to be called "The She-Wolves of Winterfell".) will be released in their own anthology collection. Most likely in hardcover and ebook, then later, paperback.
- The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire Book Six) . This one I've got my fingers crossed on. I did a 'summary' previously of how I thought Winds is coming along. One thing from that post to this one remains the same - GRRM said that it won't be out this year (this was in 2012) or the year after (now being 2013) and that he wants to publish it in 2014. So we'll see.....before season 4? After season 4? We fans have to be patient and have faith in the author but not rush him. If I were to guess when we'll get Winds, I'll say anywhere from November 2014 to Feb of 2015. The Myreenese Knot is fixed, he has the end in sight, and he mentioned that it's going quicker than 4 + 5. After Winds, one can hope for A Dream of Spring from 2017-2019. George doesn't say much about his writing progress or methods, but we'll see. Book Seven should end the series, unless another book (about the size of Thrones, Clash, or Feast) to finish the series. He said winds would be another 1500 page monster like the last one (this is manuscript pages), and likely seven will be the same. We'll just have to see. And we'll just have to see if my 'checklist' is accurate. Either way, it's a good time to be a fan. We just have to be patient. While we wait, I suggest reading The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham. Three of the five books are out, with four coming out next May, and five most likely the year after. They are: The Dragon's Path, The King's Blood, and The Tyrant's Law. book four may be called The Widow's House, then again Tyrant's Law was called The Poisoned Sword.