We are now days away from the release of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for both the wii u and the Switch.
It is a game many have been looking forward to for a while. Heck, it’s the reason why some got a wii u to begin with. That wasn’t the only reason why I got mine, but it is definitely a reason. It has been in development for the wii u, however, it’s launching on both the wii u and the Switch. It’s unfortunate that the wii u does not have a Zelda game on it exclusively. There are actually a few unfortunate things about the wii u:
- how multiplayer is handled. With the Gamepad, things got overly confusing in regards to how many extra controllers you need, etc.
- reliance on wii motes. There are a few games that actually required wii motes. Here’s the thing: the wii motes are the controllers from the previous system, the wii. This is the wii u, a whole new console. It just got poorly named. Anyway, wii motes should have not been supported on this system, aside from playing wii games on it [backwards compatibility]. The “actual” wii u controllers are the pro controller, and the game pad.
- the name. The name of thing confused people right off the bat. Some didn’t know what it was, or if it worked with the wii, or what have you. This, combined with the poor marketing ads led to it not selling well.
- the hard drive. I'm sorry, 32GB is not a lot of storage these days. We shouldn't be 'expected' to get an external, because the console doesn't ship with a hard drive suited to its needs. After the first year or so, Nintendo should have made a "wii u pro" with a built in 64GB one.
- too many gaps between notable games.
- lack of third party support.
I'm sure there's more as well, but the wii u could have been so much better than it was. It had some really good games on it. Sadly, most of them are being ported over to the Switch, or have been ported over to the 3DS. That fact itself doesn't like the wii u is worth owning anymore. It is therefore, fitting, that Zelda is the last game coming out for it. The wii u is dying, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is its dying breath.
The game will keep me playing for quite a bit, as there will be DLC coming for Zelda in the summer, and the fall / "holiday".
Also, my Nintendo buying days are beginning to come to an end. I wills till play games (Steam, and the Ps4), but I'm clsoe to being done with Nintendo. There have a been a few reasons that has led me to this decision:
- unable to get the Majora's Mask themed New 3DSXL
- unable to get the Fire Emblem: Fates Special Edition
- amiibo shortages
- NES Classic shortages
- Nintendo never announcing themselves announcing when specialty items are actually able for pre-order
It's very hard to support a company that I find treats it's fans so poorly....especially the wii u owners: "the wii u failed...buy our switch isntead!" What if the switch fails as well? With XBONES and the Ps4 Pro coming out, as a wii u owner, I sort of hoped something simialr would have happened with the wii u to get it 'on track.' Not only that, but how can a pre-order for an item that's not limited (or, for that matter, numbered) be sold out??? I've been through this before, and with the end of the wii u and the beginning of the switch, I see no reason to go through it again.
But I could eat my words.
We'll see how this Switch does. For all I know, this Christmas (at the very earliest) I could up wanting one.
For The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild though; I'm getting it on the wii u. It's one of the reasons why I bought my wii u, and seems like a very good way to end it's life. In regards to other purchases for the wii u, I'll essentially turn it into an emulation machine. I'll buy and download some virtual console games off the eshop.
As for future Nintendo purchases, here is what I predict I will get:
- a few more 3DS games, depending on what comes out. There could be 1 or 2 more Fire Emblem games coming out. I say this because the full title of the May release is "Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia. With the previous games, they were called: "Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, Conquest and Revelation. Is it possible that we may get more games under the "Fire Emblem Echoes" title?? [Sacred Stones, perhaps??]
- the Corrin amiibo
- NES Classic + 2nd controller
- [because you never know....] Nintendo Switch + 2 pro controllers. It would be awesome if the Switch got a new Mario Kart game [not a deluxe version of one that exists already], same with Smash, and a Zelda game designed for the switch, not a dual-release title. I would constantly keep the console docked, as the portability aspect of it does not appeal to me. I want to give it to see how it does, and what comes out for it. But if Nintendo disappoints as per the examples I gave beforehand, I won't even consider getting it. I should also add that I do not intend to get it at launch, nor am expecting to. The earliest I'd get it would Black Friday.